Saturday, July 14, 2018

Pecans grow rapidly in July

    After a recent thunderstorm, I noticed a wind-damaged branch dangling from one of my Kanza trees. Unfortunately, that limb had several nut clusters that will never see harvest (I pruned off the limb). However, I used this opportunity to check on the development of the small nuts (photo above).   

    During the month of July, pecan nuts grow rapidly achieving their full size by early August.You can check on kernel development by pulling a nut off the tree and slicing it in half. During the period on rapid nut sizing, I hold the nut so I can see the attachment scar at the bottom of the nut (photo above, left). The attachment scar is oval in shape with a prominent white bar of woody tissue that runs along the long axis of the oval.  I order to see both sides of kernel expansion, I cut the nut open perpendicular to the long axis of the oval-shaped attachment scar.
 
  When the nut is still small, work carefully with your pocket knife to splice the pecan right down the middle, from base to apex (photo at right).
  The photo at left shows the Kanza nut I cut open today. Inside, I found a small heart-shaped ovule which will eventually grow into two kernel halves. This small structure is filled with liquid endosperm. The pecan embryo can be seen as the white tip at the base of the ovule.
   The small-heart stage of kernel development is the first sign a pecan is entering a period of rapid fruit expansion. Hopefully we'll get enough rain this month to help pump up the size of the nuts.