Sunday, October 14, 2018

Fall flooding delays fall fertilizer application to pecan groves


    In early October, I was trying to decide when to make my annual fall application of fertilizer to my pecan grove. At the time, daytime temperatures were still reaching the low 80's and the soil was dry. The combination of dry ground and hot temperatures is a sure way to lose soil applied urea (nitrogen fertilizer) to volatilization. So I waited for better weather conditions.
   It is now mid-October and the weather has turned wet and cool. Good conditions for fertilizing except for one thing. We've had a little too much rain and the Neosho River has spilled out of its banks (photo above). It is by no means a major flood. Portions of many pecan groves have anywhere from a few inches to a foot of water while other areas are just water soaked. 
    I am glad I waited to fertilize this Fall. If I had rushed to get the fertilizer on earlier this month, all my fertilizer dollars would have washed down the river. Now, I'll need to wait until the ground firms up before running a spreader over the grove. I definitely don't want to cut ruts in the orchard floor by dragging a fertilizer buggy over water-soaked soil.  
   Fall fertilization is an important part of my normal pecan management program. Applying fertilizer both Fall and Spring have helped to reduce alternate bearing in my grove. I'll be sure to post when I make this Fall's application including types of fertilizer and quantity applied.