Sunday, March 14, 2021

Spreading lime in a pecan grove


     Using soil tests, I discovered that the soil in my pecan grove was more acid than ideal (pH < 6.0).  Pecan trees perform best in soils that have a pH above 6.5 but below 7.2.  So, this spring, when the soil in my grove was dry enough to allow a large and very heavy lime truck to travel between trees, I had 6 tons of lime broadcast per acre (Photo at right).

    Typically, when lime is applied to agronomic fields, cultivation is used to help mix the lime into the soil profile. Mixing the soil after liming helps to moderate the soil pH throughout the crop's rooting zone. But in a pecan grove, cultivation is not an option because it would destroy all the tree's fine feeder roots. 

     I used an implement called a pasture harrow (photo at left) to break the surface of the soil and lightly rake the lime into ground. I'm not sure how well the harrowing helped in terms of lime incorporation but based on the experiences of forage producers, harrowing should help my cover-crop flourish. 

    This summer I plan on taking both soil samples and leaf samples to see where I stand in terms of soil fertility and tree nutrition. The results of those tests should tell me if the investment in liming was beneficial.