- The dorsal groves are narrow and deep and can often trap inner-shell material.
- Every kernel produced a dark colored flap of seed coat at the end of the kernel (marked A).
- The kernel has prominent dark veins (marked B).
- The surface of the kernel is wrinkled, giving the nut meat a shriveled appearance (marked C).
- A dark spot often appears on the underside of the kernel (marked D) that is not insect related.
If you are interested in producing quality pecan kernels, I would avoid grafting Mandan into your orchard.