top-working a fairly large pecan tree. Using a hydradulic lift, I placed bark grafts on nine major limbs throughout the tree's canopy. Today, I went back to the tree and found that all nine grafts had been successful but they were buried in a profusion of brushy growth (photo at right). Three bamboo stakes, attached at the top of the tree during grafting, were the only visible clue that I had grafted this tree 7 weeks ago.
I repeated this process for all nine grafts I had made on this tree.
I'll need to return to this tree in 4-6 weeks. By that time, more trunk sprouts will appear and the grafts will need addition ties to the stakes. I surely don't want to lose any of these grafts to breakage in a wind storm.