Sunday, September 29, 2019

Cultivars spliting shuck during late September

Kanza, 27 Sept. 2019
     During the final week of September several pecan cultivars ripened on my farm including two currently popular pecans; Kanza and Hark. During the week, I photographed pecan cultivars as they split their shucks. Those pictures and the date each photo was taken appear on this post. I also included a few of the better selections from my breeding program.

Gardner, 25 Sept. 2019
Hark, 27 Sept. 2019
     Gardner split shuck about the same time it always ripens--late September. However, my Kanza and Hark trees have ripened about one week earlier than normal (typically, Kanza and Hark ripen in early October).  While recording data in my pecan breeding plot, I'm finding that some trees are ripening right in line with their 3 year average while other a significantly earlier than their average. I'm sure there is a good reason for what I'm observing but most likely its just variation in cultivar response to this year's crazy weather.

KT114, 27 Sept. 2019
KT149, 27 Sept. 2019
KT307, 25 Sept. 2019