Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Making a second scab spray

    Last Sunday we had over 3 inches of rain. 2019 is turning out to be a wetter than normal year for us and it has made great conditions for the spread of pecan scab. Today, I walked over to the cemetery (across the road from my farm) to inspect nuts growing on unsprayed trees. It didn't take too long to spot some black scab lesions forming on a young pecan (photo at right).
    With this year's heavy rain fall pattern I knew it was time to make my second pecan scab spray. Despite the water soaked soil in the pecan grove, I started up the sprayer and sprayed the grove. Many farmers may criticize me for rutting up the field, but waiting for better field conditions may have been too late for keeping me  ahead of pecan diseases (photo at left). For this application, I used Flint fungicide.