Thursday, June 25, 2020

Directive pruning leads to increased lateral branching

    Earlier this spring, I showed you how I use Directive Pruning to reshape a top heavy tree and promote the growth of a single, central leader. The photo at right was taken one month after my initial pruning efforts. In the photo, you can see that the central leader has taken off and that new lateral branches are forming lower down on the main trunk.
    It is important to allow these lower branches to grow for two reasons. First, they increase the leaf area of the tree allowing it to capture more of the sun's energy via photosynthesis. And secondly, lower branches stimulate diameter growth of the trunk resulting in a stronger tree.
    In the photo at left, you will note that these new lateral branches have formed nice wide branch angles. This branching characteristic is the result of last year's tree training. During the previous growing season, I carefully removed all stalked primary buds from the central leader as it grew taller. A year later and stimulated by directive pruning the top of the tree, secondary buds have started growing along the lower portion of the trunk. As a general rule, branches that originate from secondary buds create strong branch angles.
   Over the years, I have found that I can direct the growth of pecan trees with a few simple pruning cuts on actively growing shoots. If I pay attention to tree growth during the growing season, I can largely eliminate the need  for making large, corrective-pruning cuts during the dormant season.