Thursday, May 12, 2022

Grafting time

Preparing a scion for grafting
     During a normal year, I usually starting grafting pecan trees during the first week of May. However, last week (the first of May) we received over 7.5 inches of rain during the course of the week and the Neosho River spilled over its banks flooding a large part of my pecan grove. Needless to say, my 2022 grafting season got off to a late start. 

    This week, summertime temperatures and ample sunshine dried the fields enough to make getting out in the field to graft trees possible. One of the biggest mistakes novice pecan growers make in grafting trees is  attempting to place a graft on a tree that is too small and does not yet have a well established root system.  My rule of thumb is to never graft a tree unless it grew at least 2 feet of new shoot growth the previous growing season.

   The tree pictured at left is ideal for grafting. By the time a pecan tree has achieved this size above the ground, the root system is extensive and features a massive tap root.  

 

   I usually graft this sized tree at about 20 to 24 inches above to soil (photo at right). I choose this height for two reasons. First, 20 inches is a comfortable working height for me while I sit on my cooler to carve the scion and place the graft. Secondly, removing a majority of the top will force the tree to focus all its energy on pushing shoots that sprout from the scion. Ultimately, the rapid growth that results from such drastic pruning is easy to train into a strong central leader trunk.  

  The tree I selected for grafting is roughly one inch in diameter at the point I made the cut (photo at left). I like to use a bark graft in this circumstance. Once the graft starts growing it won't be long until new wood growth completely covers over the wound I made on the seedling rootstock.


 

    For a small diameter bark graft, I choose a small diameter scion to insert under the bark (photo at right). If you would like to see a more detailed discussion of how to make this graft, check out a previous post HERE.

   I always attach a bamboo stake to the tree after I've completed the graft (photo at left). Initially, this stake protects the scion from bird damage (perching birds can break off the scion). Once the scion breaks bud, I tie emerging shoots to the stake to train the new growth and to prevent wind damage. 

     This photo also reminds me that I've been using the same grafting box for 40 years. It has served me well.


     Deer populations in Kansas have exploded to the point where I never leave a young tree uncaged.  The cage protected the seedling the entire time it was growing into grafting sized tree. Once grafted, the cage will remain until the young tree has grown limbs well above deer browsing height.   At that point, I remove the cage and place a trunk protector on the tree to prevent buck rub.