Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Mid summer nut development


    I collected a few nuts this morning to check on kernel development. I choose three cultivars and noted that all three were about the same size (photo above). In this extremely dry summer, I was surprised to see a few spots of pecan scab on the Maramec nuts. In any case, I needed to slice open each nut to reveal its stage of kernel development


    At this point in the season, Osage and Kanza are about 3/4 of the way to full water stage. Maramec is just starting to expand it kernel and is only 1/4 water stage. The most important observation I make when looking at these dissected nuts is that overall nut size is going to be very small this year. Lets just hope we get enough rain to fill out the kernels like we did during last year's drought.